How to cook delicious dry beans in a slow cooker.
Do you know the trick to having very tender and tender dried beans?
The secret is to cook them at a constant low temperature.
How? 'Or' What ? By cooking them in the electric slow cooker!
The added bonus is that you can prepare a lot of it, because dried beans keep very well in the freezer.
here is how to cook delicious beans in the slow cooker so that they are tender and melt in your mouth. Look :
What you need
- dried beans (regardless of the quantity)
- 1 teaspoon of salt for 500 g of beans
- seasonings of your choice: bay leaf, garlic, minced onion or aromatic herbs
- optional: pork belly, turkey thigh or other smoked meat
- electric slow cooker
How to do
1. Soak the dried beans overnight (optional).
Rinse your beans in cold water and remove any broken or damaged beans. Then put them in a bowl, cover with water and let stand overnight. Drain before cooking.
Note: this step is optional, but it's always best to soak the beans to remove the sugars that cause gas.
2. Pour the beans into the slow cooker and add the herbs.
3. Cover with about 2 inches of cold water.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and stir to dissolve.
5. Cover and cook at low temperature for 6 to 8 hours.
6. Check for doneness after 5 hours.
If this is your first time cooking beans or a new variety of beans, start checking their doneness after 5 a.m. Then check every 30 minutes to make sure they are cooked to your liking.
There you go, now you know how to make delicious dry beans in the slow cooker :-)
Easy, fast and efficient, right?
Thanks to this type of cooking, your beans are tender and melting in your mouth!
No more beans that are too hard, overcooked or too salty.
This trick works with all types of dry beans, be it white or kidney beans and even those that are frozen.
Obviously, this recipe works with any slow cooker, including the Cookeo.
- How much to prepare? For small amounts of less than 500g, I think a small 2-liter slow cooker is best. When I take out my large slow cooker, it's usually to cook 1 kg or more of dry beans.
- Typically, cooking takes 6 to 8 hours.. If your beans are cooked but a little too firm for your taste, add a second teaspoon of salt and cook until they are perfectly tender.
- How to freeze beans? If you've made too many beans, know that they keep wonderfully in the freezer. I freeze them in 500g portions, an ideal amount for reuse in another recipe or making an easy on-the-go meal.
- Why soak the beans? Normally, dry beans should always be soaked before cooking them. But with a slow cooker, this step is optional. Thanks to its low and constant temperature, the slow cooker guarantees perfect cooking, for beans that are very tender and tender! But because the soaking water extracts some of the sugars, I recommend that you soak your beans if you want to avoid bloating all day.
- For split peas and lentils: small legumes like split peas and lentils don't need to be soaked.
- Add any herbs, such as bay leaves or garlic, at the start of cooking. Why ? Because that's how their delicate flavors will infuse beans and cooking water for as long as possible.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt at the start of cooking. Contrary to popular belief, salt does not prevent dry beans from softening! On the contrary, the salt tenderizes the outer shell of the beans while preventing them from bursting during cooking. Believe my experience: I always add salt at the start of cooking my beans and the result is flawless every time.
- Cooking time varies depending on the type of beans. So, if this is your first time cooking a variety of beans, it is best to stay home towards the end of cooking to see if they are to your liking. In addition, slow cookers cook more or less quickly depending on the model. Start checking their doneness after 5 a.m. Then, check every 30 min until they are cooked perfectly to your liking.
- For faster cooking, or if your beans are over a year old, soak them overnight in salted water: 1.5 tablespoons of salt mixed with 2 liters of water.
Have you tried the easy slow cooker dry beans recipe? Tell us in the comments if it was effective. We can't wait to hear from you!
Do you like this trick ? Share it with your friends on Facebook.
Also to discover:
Can Baking Soda Speed Up Cooking Dry Vegetables.
The Tip To Make Dry Beans More Digestive.